One big problem with eCommerce sites is that some people assume just because a site is online that it will generate sales. This is not the case. It takes hard work, effective marketing and lots of testing to achieve these results.
Search Engine Optimize Your Website and Products
- Update the Design of Your Website. Changing the look of your site can make a huge impact on the bounce rate of visitors. With technology changing so rapidly, it’s important to keep up with current designs that are known to increase activity.
- Make Your Website Tablet and Mobile Friendly. “In 2012, people spent $25 billion on purchases made from phones and tablets, an increase of 81 percent from the year before, according to eMarketer, which compiles data from 120 sources that track commerce.” – NY Times
- Make Sure Your Site has on-site SEO. SEO is the optimization of your website to increase activity on search engines and bring traffic to your website. Read My favorite article on eCommerce SEO. It’s super informative.
- Create a Website Video Commercial. Vat19 is notorious for their funny and engaging product commercials they make for each of their clients products they sell on their website. This can be as cheap as making a video on your cell phone of a review of products or hiring a video company to make nice high quality video commercials for your business.
Become a Trusted Site
- Google Trusted Site. Becoming a Google Trusted Site will increase your customer confidence and trust in your web store.
- SSL Certificates. When a shopper sees the green lock in their browser, they know that their information is protected. Buy and install an SSL certificate for your website.
- Add a Paypal Logo. Adding “Secured by Paypal” logo builds trust with your customer as they know that their paypal purchase will be a safe one.
Sell Your Products on Other Sites
- Amazon. Selling your products on Amazon will help expose your product and increase sales. Some customers only shop at certain online stores because it is a trusted website.
- Groupon. Offering discounts on your products thru Groupon is an awesome way to increase traffic. Especially if you’re a new company out in the online world. The link back to your site from groupon is great for SEO.
- Google. Selling your products on Google will certainly bring in those customers that are just browsing google for your product or a products best price.
Use Social Media
- Image Sharing. Social media is one of the best ways to promote your products, brand and services. Many online retailers gain tons of exposure when photos of their merchandise are passed around facebook, twitter and instagram. This creates a lifestyle of your brand and products. When someone likes a product they will want to rave about it to all their friends and family. Instant reviews on your product. If you don’t have a page they can like, they can’t connect their photos and others will have a hard time finding you.
- Create contest with giveaways. Giving away your products thru your facebook page is an awesome way to gain more likes and new customers. Tell your customers to share and like your new post and they can be entered to win your product.
- Share Buttons. Add sharing buttons to each of your products so people can share them to others thru social media.
- Create a Scavenger Hunt. Offer a prize to the first person who can solve your “mystery”. Post cryptic messages and photos to all of your social media outlets and let your customers put together the clues. People love solving games.
- Create interactive photos. Post photos that engage your audience, not bore them. For example you can post “caption this” photos or photos that ask a question that the audience has to solve.
Offer Financing Coupons, Discounts and Free Shipping
- Bill Me Later. Bill me later is Paypals financing option. Installing Bill Me Later on your eCommerce site will attract those who wish to buy your products now, but just don’t have the funds currently.
- Coupons & Discounts. Does your website have the software needed so that you can easily offer discounts and coupons at checkout? If not, contact your local web designer so they can help you with that need.
- Free Shipping. People LOVE free shipping deals. They are more likely to make a purchase if free shipping is included. If shipping will cost too much, most customers will drop from your website leaving their shopping carts abandoned.
Invest in Online Advertising
A lot of times, new website eCommerce stores will have to start off with advertising if they want to gain instant exposure to their new site. SEO takes time and hard work. Advertising will help bridge the gap while you build a brand and store people can trust.
- Facebook Ads. Facebook ad’s are great for online stores as you can target your exact audiance in facebook.
- Google Ads. Google Adwords will help increase your exposure in the Google search engine and on other peoples websites and blogs.
- Bing Ads. Bing Ads is another search engine option where you can advertise your products.
- Your local Newspaper or News Company. Check with your local newspaper or news website. They often have pages dedicated to advertising your website.